Sunday, July 17, 2011

The daredevil dog - Il cane spericolato

To the sound of Vasco Rossi's famous song "Una vita spericolata".... (A reckless or daredevil life)
Cirillo is stressing me out! Aside from attacking my hands and feet, barking at me when I say "no", trying to very affectionately greet every passerby (I never realized how many people, young and old. are terrified of dogs here!), he also seems to have suicidal tendencies.
When I first brought him home he would go out on the deck of the apartment an peer over the low ledge. So far so good. Then one day I looked up and saw him standing on the ledge. It's amazing that the shriek I let out did not send him right over the edge. After that, deck privileges were suspended for several days until I relented and let him out there again. He behaved for a few days and then, yesterday, there he was again. This time I quietly took a photo, then lured him back in with a treat. No more deck.
Nel sottofondo la famosa canzone di Vasco Rossi, "Una vita spericolata".....
Cirillo mi sta stressando! Oltre ad aggredirmi le mani e il piedi, oltre ad abbaiarmi quando gli dico "no", oltre a cercare di salutare molto affettuosamente ogni passante (non mi ero mai resa conto prima d'ora di quante persone qui, vecchi e giovani, temono i cani!), sembra che abbia anche tendenze suicide. 
Quando l'ho portato qui andava sul balcone e guardava giu`.  Fin qui tutto bene. Poi un giorno ho alzato lo sguardo e l'ho visto in piedi sul muretto. E` un miracolo che il grido che ho emesso non l'abbia fatto cadere giu`. Dopo questo evento il diritto di andare sul terrazzo e` stato sospeso per un periodo, finche` non ho avuto pieta` e l'ho fatto uscire di nuovo. Si e` comportato bene per qualche giorno e poi, ieri, eccolo di nuovo. Questa volta ho mantenuto la calma, ho scattato la foto e poi l'ho convinto a rientrare offrendogli un bocconcino prelibato. Niente piu` terrazzo. 
A couple of days ago I was out at the house that is getting remodeled (never ending remodel) and out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement on the highest part of the roof. Cirillo was standing there as if it were the most normal thing in the world. I was too freaked out to take a photo and instead just calmly walked inside, up the stairs and coaxed him down. In that spot there is no ledge and in order to get off you have to come slowly down the incline to the right. Slowly, because if you pick up speed you will go flying right off the far right edge. As he came down that incline I could hear his little nails trying to keep traction.....
Qualche giorno fa stavo in campagna alla casa che si sta ristrutturando (la ristrutturazione che non finisce mai) e dall'angolo dell'occhio ho visto un movimento nel punto piu` alto del tetto. Era Cirillo che stava li` come se fosse la cosa piu` normale del mondo. Io ero troppo scioccata per fare un foto e invece sono rientrata in casa con la massima calma, sono salita su per le scale e l'ho convinto a scendere. In quel punto non vi e` alcun parapetto e per scendere bisogna fare lentamente quella discesa a destra. Lentamente, perche` altrimenti se si accelera si finisce col fare un volo nel vuoto. Mentre Cirillo faceva la discesa sentivo le sue unghiette che si aggrappavano al cemento......
Of course all of this is in addition to always trying to leap out of the window of a moving car, picking up EVERYTHING he sees on the street - including cigarette lighters - drinking soap and bleach someone is using to wash the sidewalk, etc. etc. Some people describe him as a "rascal", I would say that he is more of a "juvenile delinquent"!
I only hope he grows out of it.
Naturalmente tutto cio` in aggiunta a tentare sempre di buttarsi dal finestrino di una macchina in corsa, prendere in bocca TUTTO quello che trova per strada, inclusi gli accendini, bere il sapone e la varechina che qualcuno sta usando per lavare il marciapiede, ecc. ecc. C'e` chi lo definisce "monello", io direi che e` un "piccolo delinquente"!
Spero solo che crescendo si calmi.

2 comments:

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh my, reminds me of my first born actually. But what a cutie... he will keep you alert!

Christine said...

He reminds me of my 9-month old grandson, already pulling himself up to places he should not be and then losing his balance and falling.
I'm sure, like my grandson, Cirillo will grow out of it. Someday. ; )