Sunday, May 29, 2011

Snakes and toads - Serpenti e rospi

I do not have a non-venomous snake phobia, but I am not fond of them, and recently I have seen way more than I want to see. I don't know if it's because the place has not been lived in for 25 years and in recent months so much ivy was torn down, but for some reason a couple of days ago, in the space of 2 hours, three long black snakes came leaping out of the flower and vegetable bed in front of the house, in the photo above, and slithered off in various directions.  One almost landed on my foot, causing an amusing dance with the two of us trying to avoid each other. At least I hope it was trying to avoid me. Apparently they also like to hang out in trees. Yikes.
I could not get a photo of the snakes, because they move too fast, but I did get a photo of the huge toad that lives right under the top of my compost heap: a mixture of soil, worms and yard and kitchen waste. I thought they lived in water, so the eyes staring out and the movement of soil caused quite a bit of hysterical alarm both on my part and on the part of the person who was with me. When we realized it was a toad we calmed down somewhat. It is a Bufo bufo, common throughout Eurasia and the largest amphibian in Italy. The Italian version of the Wikipedia entry appears to be more correct, since they explain that they can reach 20 cm in width, excluding the legs. Aside from invertebrates, they also eat small snakes and mice, which they swallow whole. Ugh. I think I've lived in the city too long.

Non ho una fobia dei serpenti non velenosi, ma non e` che mi piacciano molto, anzi mi fanno un po` senso e preferisco incontrarli raramente e ultimamente ne ho visti un po' troppi per i miei gusti. Non so se la causa e` che questo terreno e la casa sono stati disabitati per 25 anni, o se e` perche` abbiamo tirato giu` tanta edera, ma per qualche ragione un paio di giorni fa ho visto tre lunghi serpenti neri nello spazio di poche ore. Sono usciti dall'aiuola che vedete nella foto sopra, schizzando via in varie direzioni. Uno per poco non mi e` finito sul piede provocando una buffa danza in cui cercavamo di evitarci a vicenda. Almeno spero che cercava di evitarmi. A quanto pare stanno anche sugli alberi. Aiuto.....
Non sono riuscita a fotografare i serpenti perche` sono troppo veloci, ma sono riuscita a riprendere l'enorme rospo che vive sotto la cima del cumulo di terra, vermi e scarti dell'orto e di cucina. Pensavo che vivessero nell'acqua, per cui gli occhi che ci guardavano da sotto terra e il movimento della terra stessa hanno causato un po' di isterismi da parte mia e della persona che era con me. Quando ci siamo rese conto che era un rospo ci siamo calmate. Si tratta di un Bufo bufo , diffuso in Eurasia e il piu` grande anfibio in Italia, che si nutre di qualsiasi cosa riesca a ficcarsi in bocca, inclusi piccoli serpenti e topi. Blech! credo di aver vissuto troppo tempo in citta`!
No more reptiles, amphibians and rodents please. I could go for a cute little fox now. 
Per favore niente piu` rettili, anfibi e roditori. Adesso vorrei vedere qualche piccola volpe. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reptiles watching, catching & releasing since childhood lizards, snakes, frogs & toads, including horned toads, newts & salamanders. G & I have caught few on our hikes... wish there were more around here as it means a healthy ecosystem. Also, I had an Iguana as my beloved companion as a kid that would perch on me while I read books and drew.

anna maria said...

I love lizards and geckos, and I also like having toads around, but I wish the snakes would hang out in the wilder parts of the land, because having them in my flower and veggie bed makes picking vegetables a bit nerve wracking.

ornella said...

anch'io temo i serpenti...tanto da rinunciare ad andare da sola nella mia pineta perchè mi dicono c'è ne sta uno enorme. Adoro la campagna,ma se non fosse per queste bestie l'amerei di più