Friday, May 6, 2011

Hugelkultur

Lately I have been re-reading Toby Hemenway's excellent book "Gaia's Garden - a guide to home-scale permaculture", which I first read in 2007 for the permaculture design certification course I attended in San Francisco, California. I came across a page in which he describes hugelkultur, or mound culture, so I started searching for more information online and found this, watched some videos on youTube and decided that it would be my next experiment. What I built today is the result of what I could remember, combined with my you-do-what-you-can-with-what-you've-got attitude.
First I cut down the grass and left it in place, then placed the larger chunks of rotting and not-yet-rotting wood that I had, threw in a bit of biochar for good measure, piled thin dry branches and twigs on top, stomped on them, added a few vegetable scraps and a lot of cut grass, wetted it down, then piled soil on top. I built it right next to a mound of soil that was driving me nuts, because I kept tripping over it, and used the soil from that mound as the top layer for the hugelkultur mound. Hopefully this new mound is too large to trip over - about 2' high by 4' long!
Ultimamente sto rileggendo l'eccellente libro di Toby Hemenway, intitolato "Gaia's Garden - a guide to home-scale permaculture", che ho letto per la prima volta per il corso di permacultura che ho completato nel 2007 in San Francisco, California. Una pagina di questo libro descrive l'hugelkultur, o coltivazione su un cumulo, quindi ho fatto un po` di ricerche online e trovato questo, ho guardato alcuni video su youTube e ho deciso che sarebbe stato il mio prossimo esperimento. Quello che ho realizzato oggi e` il risultato di quanto sono riuscita a ricordarmi abbinato al mio recente atteggiamento del si-fa-quel-che-si-puo`-con-quello-che-si-ha.
Prima ho tagliato l'erba, lasciandola cadere dov'era, poi ho messo giu` i pezzi piu` grossi di legno che stava marcendo o no, vi ho aggiunto qualche pezzo di biochar tanto per, ammucchiandovi sopra ramoscelli secchi e meno secchi, li ho pestati, ho aggiunto qualche avanzo vegetale e molta erba falciata, l'ho bagnato il tutto e l'ho ricoperto con circa 5 cm di terra. L'ho costruito accanto a un cumulo di terreno che da tempo mi dava fastidio perche` ci inciampavo sempre, usando la terra di quel cumulo per lo strato finale del hugelkutur. Si spera che questo nuovo cumulo sia troppo grande per inciamparvi - alto circa 70 cm e lungo 1,40 m!
I put some branches over it, just in case the pack of dogs decides to tear it apart. By the way, today I heard puppy whimpers coming from the den I showed you yesterday. I pray to God there are only one or two! As soon as they heard our voices they stopped and didn't make a peep for rest of the afternoon. Their mother has already taught them to distrust humans. Good idea!
Vi ho poggiato sopra dei rami secchi, nel caso il branco di cani decida di smantellarlo. A proposito, oggi ho sentito il piagnucolio di cuccioli che veniva dal rifugio che vi ho fatto vedere ieri. Prego Dio che siano solo uno o due! Appena hanno sentito le nostre voci si sono zittiti e non si sono fatti piu` sentire per il resto del pomeriggio. La madre gli ha gia` insegnato a non fidarsi degli esseri umani e ha fatto bene!
Monday I will put some volunteer squash (I think) seedlings that came up in the worm and manure pile, that way if the experiment doesn't work, I will not have lost too much. 
Lunedi` vi piantero` delle piantine spontanee di zucca (credo) spuntate in cima al cumulo di letame e vermi, cosi` se l'esperimento non funziona non avro` perso molto.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I find this to be very interesting and just the way I like to garden/compost. I do hope you continue to post updates on your seedlings as I am curious as to how they will do. I just might have to try this in my own garden this year as I am incredibly behind on tilling, planting, etc. Thank you for the links as well.

Also, thanks for the kind comment and visit to my own blog. :)

anna maria said...

Hi Cynthis,
so far the experiment is not working, at least not with the seedlings I mentioned. Perhaps because they came from the very fertile compost and manure pile or because the day was very hot or because I did not use enough soil, don't know but they immediately shriveled.
I think that for now I will let the mound mature until fall or late summer and try again then. Or maybe I will just put a seedling in there every now and then, but I will keep posting about it.
And thank YOU for returning to visit!