Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pruning and a huge Bonfire - Potatura e un grandissimo Falo`

This morning I bought a wheelbarrow and some new tools (and a 40lb. bag of dog food....). The "witch's broom", which I intend to use on nights with a full moon,  is for sweeping under olive trees and for clearing soil and leaves off of sidewalks. These brooms are so typical of this region that's it's odd to find out that they are now all made in China.
Questa mattina mi sono comprata una carriola e alcuni attrezzi nuovi (e un sacco da 20 chili di croccantini per cani....). La scopa "da strega", che intendo usare nelle notti di luna piena, serve per pulire sotto gli ulivi e per spazzare piazzali e viali. Queste scope sono cosi` tipiche di questa zona che e` sorprendente scoprire che adesso vengono tutte fabbricate in Cina. 



Then I went back to my place with my friend to continue the battle on ivy that we started on Monday, adding some serious pruning of Oleanders, Pittosporum and decorative shrubs.
Here are some before and after photos.  
Sono poi tornata in campagna, con l'amico che mi aiuta, per continuare la battaglia che avevamo iniziato lunedi` contro l'edera, aggiungendo la potatura di tanti oleandri, pittospori e un paio di cespugli ornamentali. 
Ecco alcune foto di prima e dopo. 
He also intervened in a conflict between some ivy, a pittosporum, an olive tree and a couple of ornamental trees, and settled the matter to everyone's satisfaction.
E` anche intervenuto in un conflitto tra dell'edera, un pittosporo, un ulivo e un paio di alberi ornamentali, risolvendo la questione in modo favorevole per tutti. 
I stopped to look at some Eucalyptus trees my father planted for me, because I kept going on about how much I loved them, and a plum almond tree in bloom.
Mi sono fermata per guardare alcuni Eucalipti che mio padre ha piantato per me, perche` ripetevo sempre che mi piacevano tanto, ed un susino mandorlo in fiore. 
Then things got hot. My friend decided that the weather and lack of wind made it the perfect time to burn dry branches and pine cones that had been piled up there for a few years. I was very hesitant because fires, particularly large ones, scare me but since he had experience and no fear and I had fear and no experience, I gave in. I think it was the largest fire I have ever been so close to. 
Poi le cose hanno cominciato a riscaldarsi. Il mio amico ha deciso che il tempo e la mancanza di vento rendevano il momento perfetto per mettere fuoco alla grande massa di rami e pigne secche che venivano accumulate da anni in un punto. Io ero molto restia perche` gli incendi, particolarmente quelli grandi, mi fanno paura, ma poiche` lui aveva esperienza e niente paura, e io avevo paura e niente esperienza, ho ceduto. Credo di non essere mai stata vicina a un fuoco cosi` grande. 
The neighbors for at least a mile around were inundated with smoke. Since I was told that the embers will smolder for several days, I'm just hoping that the trees will still be there tomorrow. 
Tutta la compagna circostante si e` riempita di fumo. Poiche` mi e` stato detto che il carboni arderanno per un paio di giorni, spero solo che domani gli alberi saranno ancora li`.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love a good brush burn - the bigger and hotter, the better. You got some beautiful shots of it. Thanks! :))