Saturday, January 22, 2011

The best part of the day - Il momento piu` bello della giornata

(Click on photos to enlarge)
(Cliccare sulle foto per ingrandirle)
The magical light of the late afternoon sun, particularly after a thunderstorm,  never fails to enchant me and give me a sense of peace and warmth. 
La luce magica del sole pomeridiano, particolarmente dopo una tempesta, non manca mai di incantarmi e darmi un senso di pace e calore. 
I had brought food for the strays, but no matter how much I whistled and called they never came, so I left it there, hoping they would show up later. Then, when I was almost half the way back home, I saw them watching me from high up on some terraced walls. 
Avevo portato il mangiare per i cani randagi, ma per quanto potessi fischiare e chiamarli non si sono fatti vedere, allora ho lasciato tutto li` nella speranza che arrivassero dopo. Poi, quando avevo gia` fatto quasi meta` della strada del ritorno, li ho visti che mi guardavano dall'alto di alcuni muretti. 
So I called them and started walking back towards my place, where I had left their food, with all of them following me, like in a procession. Certainly a funny sight for the cars that passed us: a woman and 7 or 8 dogs behind her. What was even funnier was that whenever I turned to take a photo they all stopped abruptly, sometimes turning to run away. Finally we reached the food and most of them ate. I'm afraid a couple of stragglers missed out. 
Allora li ho chiamati e sono tornata indietro, con tutti loro che mi seguivano come in una processione. Era sicuramente una scena un poco buffa per le macchine che ci sono passate vicino: una donna e 7 o 8 cani che le venivano dietro. La cosa ancora piu` buffa era che quando mi voltavo per scattare una foto di colpo si fermavano anche loro, a volte girandosi per fuggire. Finalmente siamo arrivati al cibo che avevo lasciato e quasi tutti hanno mangiato. Purtroppo temo che un paio di ritardatari sono rimasti senza.  
The trail the dogs have worn in the grass, from a neighbor's land where they spend their days to my gate, where they are often fed by me and by others.
Il sentiero che, con il passare del tempo, i cani hanno creato per venire da una terra vicina, dove passano le giornate, al mio cancello, dove io e altri gli diamo spesso da mangiare. 

8 comments:

Christine said...

Those dogs are truly lucky to have you as their champion, Annamaria. I love those late afternoon shots - so peaceful and warm looking.

anna maria said...

I've been feeding them for just 3 months, while a young woman and her father have done it for 10 years! another neighbor also comes regularly and leaves them entire bags of kibble.
One of the local vets has tried to catch some of them to sterilize them, but has been unable to. It sure would help a lot!

Anonymous said...

oh, i love that line of dogs. how sweet. and yes, the light here is unlike any i have ever witnessed, it is magical.

ornella said...

Cara Annamaria un post davvero tenero ...solo le persone con un animo nobile riescono a farte quello che fai tu. Anche mia figlia ama tanto i cani e a settembre ha fatto sterilizzare una cagna dolcissima che viveva abbandonata.Anch'io poi, amo la calma e l'odore della natura dopo la pioggia, il senso di pulizia e il chiarore di luce che lascia UN abbraccio Ornella

anna maria said...

Cara Ornella,
grazie per la visita e per le tue parole. Che brava tua figlia! Il mio piu` grande desiderio per quei cani, oltre a cure veterinarie, sarebbe di farli sterilizzare, ma nessuno riesce ad acchiapparli, neanche quelli che gli danno da mangiare da anni!

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh this is just magical, and those dogs you have befriended are so blessed by you. Thanks for the kind words about my mom. Each day is a little better. I am so enjoying Misty's class, but so behind in the assignments. oh well a little grace works.

anna maria said...

Thank you, Pamela. I am totally behind in Misty's class as well, even with all the free time I have on my hands. My problem has been my internet connection - I can watch the videos only when I go to my friends' house for Sunday lunch...... which makes me feel a little rude!

Anonymous said...

Dogs have always been your passion!