Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Kind of Saturday


It's not even 4 pm yet and I'm already really satisfied with this day.

I went out with Eden for our usual Saturday walk in the park and on the way back had to take a photo of this colorful and orderly array of clothes hanging out to dry right by the sidewalk. A white picket fence is not a typical San Francisco sight, but clothes hanging out to dry are pretty common. I'm glad they're not banned here as they are in some states.  Eden and I both enjoyed our stroll on this sunny, cool day, through trees and fresh grass.
When I got back home I watched part of my new Yoga for Beginners DVD, and actually followed along. I've tried yoga in different studios, but always find that I feel like a total wreck afterwards, so I've decided to try it on my own. Maybe if I don't feel like I am getting lost, or need to keep up, it will be a better experience. Or maybe I need a personal yoga trainer!

Without really realizing the connection, after deciding yesterday to seriously embark (or re-embark) on a spiritual learning experience, I chose to cook a dish from a book I bought in 2005, 3 Bowls: Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist MonasteryIt has a lot of vegetables in it, interesting spices and will be mixed with leftover quinoa from yesterday's lunch. As soon as it cools down, I'm digging in. 

Not content with all the goodies in this vegetable stew, I made immune-boosting turmeric tea, by boiling chunks of fresh ginger root in water, adding turmeric and letting it boil a bit more. After straining it into a glass, I added a heaping teaspoon of honey and some lemon. I was surprised at how good it was. I did check my teeth every now and then while drinking it, to make sure they were not turning orange, since I know how potent turmeric is when it comes to staining your clothes and even woodwork, but I'm happy to report that the teeth are fine. 

I had first heard this tea mentioned in a post on Lucullian Delights, a blog where I have been feasting my eyes for 3 years. Ilva was going to give the recipe for the tea, after she and her entire family recovered from The Flu. Fortunately they all recovered, but I think she moved on to bigger and better recipes, because I could not find mention of the tea in subsequent posts. So I did a bit of an internet search and came up with my own version, and drank it down to the last delicious good-for-me drop! I do have a bit of a headache, though, but don't know if it was the turmeric or the Yoga...

           

6 comments:

sharon said...

Anna, your posts always amaze me!@ You are so good about doing the right thing for your body, and seem to be very disciplined. I am extremely jealous of that! I think of it all the time, but just can't seem to pull it off. I used to do yoga, and be better about my health, but I seem to get so tired and can't keep up, it's very hard I think! Do you have any tricks?, or motivation? I really admire you! Hugs!!

anna maria said...

Thanks Sharon, it's very nice of you to say that, but the problem is that I start a lot of things and get all enthusiastic, then they fall by the wayside, partly because there just isn't time to do it all.

I do eat pretty well, but it's my stomach that forces me to most of the time, because if I don't it acts up!

One thing I've noticed about myself is that I go back to things and pick them up again. It's better than nothing, but I would be a lot happier if I just stuck with something for a change.

In any case, I think there is no limit to how many times one can start over, and a big part of my motivation is simply curiosity.

Hugs to you to!

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

Nice ... I love homey days. and totally am love with the clothes hung out to dry pictures.

Alison said...

Hi Anna Maria, I stumbled across your blog and discovered that we are the same age! And your blog is The Passing Fancy and I once sang in a quartet named Passing Fancy! So I really felt that I should comment. :-) I will spend some time and read some of your posts. Best wishes from New Zealand. Alison.

anna maria said...

Hi Diana and Alison,
thanks for visiting!

Leslie said...

Gosh, I wish I had your discipline. I am not always so good to my body. But I like your reply about no limit to the times one can start over!